Broccoli, beetroot and potatoes soup

My very first recipe in English was prepared especially for a dear friend of mine, Martine.
She was ill and I knew she needed to eat, but she didn't want to or didn't feel like it.
You know that feeling when you just want to lay on the bed, in pain, exhausted and scared.
I insisted on visiting.
As a cook, I believe soup does wonders for a person in those conditions.
------- In Romania, we are convinced that chicken soup brings people back from the dead. :d -------
As I said, I went to visit with a bag full of various legumes and vegetables (pork too) and I said I will cook a soup. My recipe is nothing like English soups (which I like very much, by the way).
With a very low voice, trying not to hurt my feelings, she said:
--- „Cristina, I don't really feel like eating meat right now,” said my lovely friend with a weak voice. 
„Ok, I understand,” I replied, but went downstairs nevertheless and started to chop, dice and mince some of the goodies I brought with me. 
In a few minutes, the house was inundated by a delicious smell.
She came down to see what was going on in there.
We prepared the table, fresh seeds bread, butter, and cutlery, and then I brought the soup.
She loved the look of it, instantly bringing her back in time, to when she was a child in France. Sweet memories.

When she tasted it was enchanted by the myriads of flavours in one bowl.
She asked for a second one and I was delighted because there was meat in it.
And you have to know, I am not fond of meat. 
Not at all, but, sometimes, our bodies benefit from it.
This recipe is perfect when you have a cold/flu, or you are ill. It's also indicated when you are on a diet.
Gluten-free and absolutely delicious. You need to try it. You will love it. I promise.
Drop me a line if you need any help or have questions.

Degree of difficulty: low-medium (depending on your skills)
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes 
Servings: 4-6-8

bowl of thick soup on a musical place holder

Ingredients
  1. 3 potatoes
  2. 1 yellow onion
  3. 1 carrot
  4. 1 green (or red, yellow) pepper, etc.
  5. 200 g pork
  6. 100 g broccoli
  7. 100g green beans
  8. 1 small beetroot (50 g approximately, or 100, how much you want/desire)

  9. 2 tablespoons oil (olive oil is my favourite)
  10. 200ml tomato juice
  11. 5 cups (200 ml one = 1 l) of water - depending on how liquid (thick) you want to have it
  12. fresh parsley, just a few leaves, to ornate and give more colours and flavour to your soup
  13. 1 teaspoon salt (depending on your taste)
  14. Optional: 1 teaspoon paprika (chilli)

Method of preparation
  • Prepare a pot or saucepan of the size you desire/have, add the oil, slow cook
  • Mince the onion and put it in the pot, leave it for 2 minutes, very slow cook
  • Wash and clean the carrots, use a greater or cut them into small cubes (3 ml, less than 1 cm)
  • Dice the pepper, add them (the carrots too) over the onion to cook, weak fire
  • Wash the meat and chop it into 2-3 cm cubes. Put it in the saucepan over all the vegetables (onion, peppers and carrots). Leave 5 minutes at medium heat, stirring from time to time
  • Wash the potatoes, and chop them (1 cm diameter or as you wish)
  • Wash the beans, cut them into pieces, idem with the beetroot
  • Pour water, and add the diced potatoes and beetroot. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes
  • Add then the beans and broccoli (cut into pieces), stir and let it simmer (on slow fire with the lid on) for another 10-15 minutes.
  • Put salt and tomato juice - leave 2-3 minutes, then the minced parsley, check the taste (add more salt and paprika if you desire). Ready.
  • Serve it hot with toast or fresh garlic bread. It's absolutely delicious.


Mentions

Every ingredient could be replaced with whatever you like. This statement is valid for any of my recipes unless stated otherwise.
For a vegan or vegetarian version, just eliminate the meat/pork. The taste will change, for sure, but it will still be delicious. I have tried it and I was delighted. 

Orange iron pot

Photographs from my Romanian blog

If you appreciate it, don't hesitate to like, share (especially with your coeliac friends), comment, or join me on Facebook, on the other blogs I own: Carpe Diem, De gustibus non est disputandum,  Povestea Isabellei, and on LinkedIn.

In case you love reading, please have a look at my eBook, and write a review if you have two minutes. It will mean the world to me. 
 

Thank you so much for your visit. 

📚

If you're interested in reading my books (English+Romanina), feel free to click on this link. It will take you to an external page (Amazon). 

The e-books in Romanian, signed with Cristina Gherghel (no longer Cristina G.), can be found here (Google Play)

My author blog is here, just in case you were looking for it. 
Were you? 


4 Comments

Do not be shy, leave a sign. I prefer nice words, but critics are welcome too. Do not spam, do not insult (me or others), avoid being vulgar. Respect is a MUST! Ps. If you don't see your comment right away, is because it needs my approval before becoming public, so don't waste your time insulting, nobody will ever know (besides you).

  1. I would like to confirm this recipe was absolutely delicious and the warm smell wrapped my little kitchen with a comforting environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martine. I am so happy you've liked it. I love your table cloth (I have no idea what are "those musical things" called. Something with American cloth maybe?)

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing! I need to try it, seems quite simple. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is simple indeed and very tasty. You'll definitely like it, if you like soups. Thank you. PS. Sorry for the late reply, I missed it.

      Delete
Previous Post Next Post