Compliments hunter or Low self esteem?


Have you ever wondered why some people can't take a compliment?

I have, many times, that's why I thought I would start observing a few people and see what happens.
I've started with myself. Obviously.
As I've confessed in the previous post, I wasn't always been able to accept a compliment without terrible blushing or worse, dismissing it completely. Sometimes I even thought were just cruel jokes, told with the clear intent of making fun of me.
Why was that?
Because my self-esteem was very low.
"Beautiful, elegant, intelligent? I am none of these adjectives ... why would anyone see me in these ways?"
I was terribly sceptical and cynical.


Self-esteem isn't something tangible, it's all in our minds
So I've started working with my mind - for several years - against it.
It's a been a very challenging and exhausting fight; lost many battles, but won in the end. 
Nowadays, I simply say "thank you" when someone makes an effort to compliment me.
Whoever gets to meet me is absolutely convinced that I am an extremely confident person, fully aware of my strengths. 

Once I familiarised myself with the psychology of self-esteem, I learnt how to distinguish a false compliment from an honest one.
It's common for people to compliment someone when they want something from that person.
- I will write a different post on this subject. -

As I said, I have been studying this phenomenon for many years and I have noticed quite a few things about women's inability to accept a compliment.
It isn't only and always a low self-esteem behind it, sometimes is exactly the opposite. Arrogance for clarity: “I deserve a better compliment. I am more beautiful than most.”

Others are compliments hunters and if you have the bad luck to get into a discussion with these people, you'll come out completely drained of energy and faith in the humans' capacity for thinking.

Here is the first example from personal experience.

Me: You look gorgeous. This dress suits you perfectly!”
The compliment hunter: “You reckon? I look nothing like you.”
Me: Why would you want to look like me?! We are all unique. You have a beautiful body and you're in great shape.”
The compliment hunter smiling: “Oh, no, you're perfect. I should work out more.”
Me:" I think you look great and don't need to burn yourself out. Have a look in the mirror.”
The hunter: “My abdomen isn't flat like yours.”
Me: “You might be right, but I didn't give birth to any child, while you had. You should be proud of your looks. I mean it!”
The hunter: “Yeah, but I don't like myself.”
Me, more and more frustrated: "Why? You're a very beautiful woman. Can't you see that?!"



I looked at this woman and it was clear she's very aware of her looks which didn't make any sense... .
The discussion continued on the same note for at least 5 minutes when I had to excuse myself as I had better ways of spending my time.

A second example of a friend's experience with the beautiful sex (is the name Romanians use for women)
My friend: “You look beautiful today.”
Woman: “What?! So I don't look beautiful every day, just today!”
My friend: “I didn't mean that is just a way of saying.”
Woman: “You don't even mean it?!”
My friend.:” I do mean it, I wouldn't say it otherwise.”
Woman: “You're a horrible person! Stay away from me.”


The third example, a different male friend in a relationship.
Male: “You are the most beautiful woman in the world.”
Girlfriend: “Are you comparing me to other women?”
Male: “ No. I just made you a compliment.”
Girlfriend: “You look at every woman on this planet then?”
Male: “You are the only woman in this Universe for me.”
Girlfriend: “How the hell can I be the most beautiful of them all if I am the only woman on earth!?”
Male: “Oh, come-on, you know what I mean...”
Girlfriend: “I have no idea, but I don't want to see you for a while. Trip cancelled!”

Stories like these happen every second. A silly source of frustrations, misunderstandings, aggressions....
Such a waste of time and energy....
There are so many important things we could focus on, instead, we fight over a compliment.

No matter the reasons you don't like a compliment, just say THANK YOU and move on with your life.

If you appreciate it, don't hesitate to like, share, comment, or join me on Facebook, on the other blogs I own: Carpe Diem De gustibus non est disputandumPovestea Isabellei, and on LinkedIn.

In case you love reading, please have a look at my eBook (the first fragment of my autobiography), and write a review if you have two minutes. You will be helping me to help my parents.

Thank you for your visit. See you soon, amazing human being.

Post a Comment

Do not be shy, leave a sign. I prefer nice words, but critics are welcome too. Do not spam, do not insult (me or others), avoid being vulgar. Respect is a MUST! Ps. If you don't see your comment right away, is because it needs my approval before becoming public, so don't waste your time insulting, nobody will ever know (besides you).

Previous Post Next Post